One of Chicago’s most pedigreed bars is dipping into ‘90s nostalgia, the era when MTV started to drift away from playing music videos. Sable Kitchen & Bar, the essential cocktail lounge in River North attached to the Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, plans to bring back those spring break vibes when MTV VJs would set up remotes from Daytona, Cancun, Jersey Shore, and other beach destinations. It’s called Aloha Beaches: A ‘90s Spring Break Pop-Up Bar and starts on March 31 and goes through April 30, according to a news release.
The main attraction is the special cocktails with ‘90s references, including a drink called the Ecto Cooler — a throwback Hi-C drink that’s also a nod to Ghostbusters. Staff will even serve Jell-O shots, bringing back memories of those very special beach episodes of The Grind and host Eric Nies. Drinks include the questionably-named “Wet T-shirt Contest” (coconut fat-washed Roku gin, coconut water, Genepy liqueur, crème de banana) and “Talk to the Hand” (El Tesoro reposado tequila, Vida mezcal, mango sangrita, lime juice, agave syrup.) Drinks range in cost from $12 to $15.
There are two Jell-O shots: “Mellow Yellow Jell-O Shot” (El Tesoro Reposado Tequila, Limoncello, lemon-lime cordial, gelatin) and “I’m Blue Jell-O Shot” (Effen vodka, Framboise, green chartreuse, gelatin).
Management said the drinks will be served in ‘90s-style glasses — whatever those are — and they’ll decorate the space with palm trees, surf boards, neon, and inflatable couches. A portion of sales will benefit Chefs Cycle for No Kid Hungry.
Check out the full menu below:
- Wet T-Shirt Contest: Coconut Fat-Washed Roku Gin, Coconut Water, Genepy Liqueur, Crème de Banana ($15)
- Hella Pimm’s Cup: House-Made Pimm’s, Sipsmith Gin, Lime Juice, Ginger Ale, Cucumber, Strawberry ($12)
- Sex On The Beach In Daytona: Haku Vodka, Crème de Cassis, Simple Syrup, Pineapple Juice, Saffron Bitters, Tiki Bitters, Peach-Cardamom Yogurt ($14)
- It’s Like, You Know, Whatever: Haku Vodka, Sauvignon Blanc, Celery Saccharum, Lemon Juice, Tonic ($12)
- Talk To The Hand: El Tesoro Reposado Tequila, Vida Mezcal, Mango Sangrita, Lime Juice, Agave Syrup ($14)
- Probiotic Jungle Juice: Cruzan Aged Rum, Plantation Pineapple Rum, Pineapple-Infused Campari, Carpano Bianco, Tepache, Carbonation; served bottled ($15)
- Single And Fabulous: Hibiscus-Infused Haku Vodka, Lillet Blanc, Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao, Lime Cordial, Lambrusco ($13)
- O M G Becky!: Maker’s Mark, Amaro di Angostura Bitters, Blackberry-Ginger-Honey Syrup, Lemon Juice ($14)
- Ecto-Cooler: Toki Whisky, Midori, Genepy Liqueur, Lemon Juice, Simple Syrup, Mint ($14)
- Beer Me Bro!: Modelo Negra + Old Overholt Rye shot ($12)
- What’s The 4-1-1?: El Tesoro Blanco Tequila, Clamato Juice, Blood Mary Concentrate, Memphis BBQ Bitters + Miller High Life Pony ($12)
- Pony Show: 4 Miller High Life Ponies + Midori-Aperol Side Car ($21)
- Purple Nirple: Effen Vodka, Framboise, Yuzu Shrub ($9)
- Mellow Yellow Jell-O Shot: El Tesoro Reposado Tequila, Limoncello, Lemon-Lime Cordial, Gelatin ($9)
- I’m Blue Jell-O Shot: Effen Vodka, Framboise, Green Chartreuse, Gelatin ($9)