News has spread that the Hyde, the new speakeasy-style bar that officially opens tonight in Hyde Park has a specific set of rules including limiting cellphone use. But that’s not the only rule, as there’s a list of regulations posted inside the bar that some may not like. Some fall under basic bar etiquette like tip servers and respect bartenders when they cut customers off from booze. But others like “no Cubs fans” and “no Trump supporters” aim to give the space at 5121 S. Harper Avenue some character on the South Side.
The bar’s from Jovanis Bourgoub, and he owns the PorkChop chain. He aimed to give the city a unique space where the focus is on conversation and sipping cognacs. Patrons use a password and enter through an alley to be transported back to the ‘30s. There’s a small food menu that will rotate.
Check out the space and some of the food and drink below. Also, read the rules. It’s unclear how and if they’ll enforce them. Legally, bars don’t have to serve patrons wearing MAGA hats. Check out the bar’s Instagram page for the entrance password and more updates. It’ll also have info on the nightly entertainment — think music or burlesque dancers.
The Hyde, 5121 S. Harper Avenue, open 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. daily.
- No cellphone use inside the lounge.
- What happens at The Hyde stays at The Hyde.
- We don’t “Make It Strong.” Order a double.
- No shoes, No Teeth, No service.
- No Cubs Fans.
- No Trump Supporters.
- Keep it classy and a little sassy.
- It’s Chicago, blame the prices on Chicago.
- If you can’t taste the alcohol, don’t order everything with cranberry juice.
- If you don’t like something we’re happy to fix it for you before you finish it.
- We are always right.
- If we are wrong please refer to Rule No. 12.
- $50 fine for bitching.
- If you’ve been waiting at the bar for two minutes, please tell us you’ve been waiting for 20 minutes. This keeps us on our toes as we have no sense of time.
- When the barkeep says you’ve had enough, you have!