What a time to be affiliated with Loyola University. The Ramblers’ men’s basketball team secured its first NCAA tournament bid in 25 years over the weekend and now the Rogers Park campus is welcoming Chicago’s first Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers. The 21-year-old Louisiana chain opened this morning at 6568 N. Sheridan Road. The regional chain has built a loyal base of fans since debuting on the campus of Louisiana State University.
Raising Cane’s already has four suburban locations. But the Chicago one is special with a new open kitchen design. Raising Cane’s marketing advisor for Chicago Anna Bell answered some questions to better familiarize Chicagoans with the chain. Here are five factoids about Raising Cane’s.
- Chicago marks the chain’s 373rd location. Founder Todd Graves debuted Raising Cane’s in 1996 and named the restaurant after his dog. There are restaurants in 24 states and outside the U.S. Foreign locations include Bahrain, Kuwait, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
- The chain features chicken fingers made with white meat tenderloins that are fried in a trans fat-free blend of soybean and canola oil. They use a separate fryer for the fries. That makes the fries, along with the Texas toast, options for vegans and vegetarians.
- The Rogers Park location is part of a larger Chicago expansion. Raising Cane’s hasn’t revealed any locations, but expect announcements for later this year or in 2019.
- The location is filled with Loyola lore. There’s a nod to the Rambler’s 1953 men’s basketball NCAA championship. One of actor/comedian Bob Newhart’s old albums hangs on a wall. Newhart is a Loyola alum.
- Raising Cane’s has always found success near colleges since its LSU debut. The chain is also at Fort Collins, Colorado (Colorado State), College Station, Texas (Texas A&M), and Columbus, Ohio (Ohio State). That’s why they’re open until 3:30 a.m. on weekends.
The company calls its fans “Caniacs.” See if the chain is a worthy addition to Chicago’s fast-casual scene today. Raising Cane’s now open.
Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers, 6569 N. Sheridan Road, open 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Sunday through Wednesday; 10 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. on Thursday through Saturday.