Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse in Gold Coast is again the top-grossing independent restaurant in Chicago with $24.7 million in sales. Restaurant Business Online’s annual rankings show that Gibsons brought in $1.1 million less than last year and dropped in the overall national rankings to No. 10 on the Top 100 Independents List. There are 12 Illinois restaurants on the list with nine in Chicago and three in the suburbs.
It sounds like a broken record, as Gibsons continues to hold the top spot for another year. Though Gibsons counts as an independent, Gibsons locations in Rosemont (No. 36, $17.4 million) and Oak Brook (No. 59, $15.8 million) made the list, as did Gibsons Restaurant Group’s Hugo’s Frog Bar and Fish House in Gold Coast (No. 80, $14.3 million) and Quartino Ristorante and Wine Bar in River North (No. 88, $13.8 million). That’s five total for the group among the top 100 in the country. Gibsons just opened a new restaurant, Gibsons Italia. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see the new riverside restaurant make next year’s list.
The top-grossing restaurant in America was Tao Las Vegas with $42.4 million. The clubstaurant is planning to soon open a Chicago location. The data is from 2016 receipts.
These are the other Illinois restaurants that made the list:
- Joe’s Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab (No. 20, $21.2 million)
- Primehouse, (No. 26, $19.2 million)
- Bob Chinn’s Crab House in Wheeling (No. 30, $18 million)
- Chicago Cut Steakhouse (No. 38, $17.2 million)
- Shaw’s Crab House, (No. 41, $17.1 million)
- Harry Caray’s Italian Steakhouse (No. 70, $14.8 million)
- Tavern on Rush (No. 93, $13.4 million)
- Top 100 Independent Restaurants [Restaurant Business Online]
- Gibsons Grossed More Money Than Any Chicago Independent Restaurant, Again [Eater Chicago]
- Tao Las Vegas Tops the List of Highest-Grossing Independent Restaurants in the U.S. [Eater National]
- NYC and Vegas Clubstaurant Group TAO Bringing First Chicago Spot to Castle Space [Eater Chicago]