What good is a burger without the proper bun? From brioche, to kaiser to pretzel, Chicago's bakers have been working hard to ensure your burger has the proper venue for maximum enjoyment. With that in mind, here's a list of Chicago-based baking companies that supply restaurants with the right buns:
1) Gonnella Baking Co.: The baker's roots go back to 1886
2) S. Rosen's Baking Co.: Polish immigrant Sam Rosen founded his baking company in 1909.
3) Turano Baking Co.: Italian immigrant Mariano Turano in 1962 founded the company that would bemuse Turano.
4) Marconi Marking Co.: Marconi continues to hand-bake goods, the same way they've been going it since 1911.
5) Highland Baking Co.: While founded in 1984, they're share the same bloodlines as S. Rosen Baking Co., which was sold.
6) Red Hen Bread: An upstart to this group, founding in 1996, Red Hen has supplied restaurants with an artisan option for their burgers and sandwiches.
UPDATE: As pointed out, there's a notable omission.
7) Labriola Baking Co.: One of the reasons Labriola has one of the hottest burgers in the city is the bun. Rich Labirola started his bakery in 1996, and bakes out artisanal breads for a variety of restaurants.