Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse once again earned more money than any other independent restaurant in Chicago, taking in $22.5 million, according to the latest figures from Restaurant Business Online's annual list of 100 Top-grossing restaurants with no more than five locations all across the U.S. The list showed little movement overall, as Gibsons slipped from No. 8 on the list to No. 10. Read the full rankings here.
Gibsons took in $138,186 more this year, and with an average check of $73, or $2 more than last year's average. Locally, just like last year, Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab placed second, with $21.8 million and an average tab of $69. That's good for No. 11 in America and a jump of $800,000 from last year.
John Colletti, managing partner at Gibsons, provided this statement:
"Year after year, we have been honored to have several of our group's restaurants (Gibsons, Hugo's and Quartino) announced as part of this list. We are among our most esteemed colleagues, so it makes it even more special for us."
The list welcomed two meaty newcomers. David Burke's Primehouse clocked in at No. 19, taking in $18.9 million and an average check of $92. Chicago Cut Steakhouse ranked at No. 31 with $16.9 million and a $73 average check. The Greek Islands in the West Loop failed to make the list this year after an appearance in the previous rankings.
FYI: Tao Asian Bistro in Las Vegas sat atop the list nationally at $47 million with an average check of $70. Staying in Vegas, Carnevino's average check amount of $175 ranked the priciest. Here's the rest of list of Chicago restaurants appearing in the ranks for the second-straight year:
- Bob Chinn's Crab House in suburban Wheeling ranked No. 25 with $17.6 million and a $39 average tab.
- Shaw's Crab House placed at No. 37 with $16.5 million and a $60 average check.
- Gibsons' sibling spot in Rosemont ranked No. 46 with $15.7 million and a $69 average tab.
- Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House checked in at No. 52 with $15.3 million and a $64 average check.
- Harry Caray's Italian Steakhouse ranked No. 65 with $14.3 million and an average check of $46.
- Quartino Ristorante placed No. 81 with $13.2 million and an average tab of $28.
- Tavern on Rush checked in at No. 89 an $12.7 million with an average tab of $71.