Riot Fest's back this weekend for three days of mayhem. It's a new venue, as they've shifted over to Douglas Park after residents claimed the festival's organizers left Humboldt Park in disarray after the concerts. Hopefully it won't be as soggy and muddy as last year's festival but regardless of the climate, concertgoers will still have about the same number of food choices as 2014, as 53 food vendors will serve items at this year's fest.
But there seems a lot of turnover this year, as Chicago's Dog House, Dia De Los Tamales and Jerk 312 won't be at Douglas Park. But there are some worthwhile newbies in the lineup. So have no fear, here's a breakdown of vendor highlights:
- *Glutton Force Five/Taco In A Bag: These fine folks seem right at home at Riot Fest, slinging their many varieties of walking tacos for a pick me up after moshing or boozing.
- *Bruges Brothers: The food truck finds a spot in the Riot Fest family thanks to their fresh fries prepared in beef and duck fats.
- *JJ Fish & Chicken: Anyone interested in fried fish and chicken can get their appetites satisfied at JJ's.
- *Mrs. Murphy & Son's Irish Bistro: If Mrs. Murphy's is serving up ribs, it would be a good idea to trying a few bones from this Lincoln Square gem.
- Puffs of Doom: A familiar sight for the local festival circuit. Their return to Riot Fest ensures visitors can get sweet, savory and vegan puffs. Oh, gluten-free puffs are there too for all you Emo kids.
- The Fat Shallot: The Fat Shallot returns this year with "classic sandwiches" like grilled cheese and a BLT.
- Cevapcici: A must-try for every festival goer, Cevapcici serves a Balkan delicacy combo of ground beef, lamb and pork, rolled into a sausage shape, topped with a zesty eggplant sauce and folded into a pita.
- Dark Matter Coffee: Dark Matter has the festival schtick down pat. These aren't those average corporate coffee grounds. Burn the system down, one bean at a time.
- Porkchop: This mobile version of the Randolph Street barbecue spot features pulled pork, pulled chicken and brisket sliders.
- Billy Goat Tavern: If you're sentimental, grab a burger from the Billy Goat, made famous from an SNL skit and the originators of Cubs' Billy Goat curse.
*Denotes new for Riot Fest 2015