The 2012 Hamburger Hop, the kick-off event to Chicago Gourmet being held Sept. 28 at the Harris Theater rooftop, sold out in record time this year so the next big piece of news is: Who's competing? The lineup of chefs was just released to Eater and it looks like it's going to get, well, pretty meaty. With Allen Brothers as a lead sponsor, the Hop includes Harry Caray's Joseph Rosetti, Benny's Chop House's Jonathan Lane and Gene & Georgetti's Arturo Aucaquizhpi, and there are some other pretty interesting selections.
The lineup also features Yoshi Katsumura from Yoshi's, Matt Troost from Three Aces, Dirk Flanigan from Henri/The Gage, Amanda Downing of Rockit, Kevin Hickey from Allium (who has won in the past) and Mark Rimkus from Flo & Santos. Steven Lawhorn of Palmer Place, who won the People's Choice in 2011, is back to defend his title.
The Hop's emcees for the night are Bon Appetit's Adam Rapoport and Andrew Knowlton. Judging will take place among celeb chef John Besh, WXRT DJ Lin Brehmer, Blue Moon Brewing's Keith Villa, Sun-Times food editor Sue Ontiveros, Chicago Bears Nick Roach and Sheamus Feeley of the Hillstone Group.
And even though the event is sold out, you can still try for tickets through a contest being held by Allen Brothers. In addition to getting two tickets to Hamburger Hop, you'll also get 36 Allen Brothers prime steak burgers.
The Full Chef Lineup:
· Arturo Aucaquizhpi, Gene & Georgetti
· John Chiakulas, Mity Nice
· Amanda Downing, Rockit Bar & Grill/Rockit Burger Bar
· Dirk Flanigan, Henri/The Gage
· Clark Grant, III Forks Chicago
· Kevin Hickey, Allium at Four Seasons Chicago
· Yoshi Katsumura, Yoshi's Café
· Ryan Kikkert, Jake Melnick's Corner Tap
· Jonathan Lane, Benny's Chop House
· Steven Lawhorn, Palmer Place
· JR Luna, Luxbar
· Mark Rimkus, Flo & Santos
· Joseph Rosetti, Harry Caray's Italian Steakhouse
· Jeff Starr, Sutter Home Build a Better Burger®
· Matt Troost, Three Aces
· Sold-out Chicago Gourmet 2011 a Success [~EChi~]