Ryan Poli has a lot of friends. Perhaps they're attracted to him for his cooking or maybe they're jealous of his hair. Regardless, having a lot of friends pays off. And starting Monday, Poli will kick off the Amigos of Pintxo series at Barcito that will see a number of guest chefs stepping behind the pintxo bar every other Monday between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.
The Amigos series will let the chefs, starting with Chris Pandel (Balena, The Bristol) on April 23, take control of the bar's music and present their take on pintxos, a.k.a. small bar bites. After Pandel, Mike and Patrick Sheerin (The Trenchermen) will get things rolling on May 7 and they'll be followed by Paul Kahan (Blackbird) on May 21. While it seems like this is just a way for Poli and his pals to joke around behind the bar, a portion of each night's sales will benefit Common Threads. And you benefit, too, as it'll be $20 all-you-can-eat pintxos between 8 and 10 on those nights. Drinks will be regular price.
The list is still being queued up (perhaps Dave Beran, shown in the above pic, will make a stop in), but a number of chefs are already scheduled for the Amigos series throughout the summer. So mark your calendar to come down and have some pintxos with your favorite Chicago—and some out of town—chefs.
The full Amigos of Pintxo lineup, so far:
· April 23 – Chris Pandel of The Bristol and Balena
· May 7 – Michael & Patrick Sheerin of Trencherman
· May 21 – Paul Kahan (Blackbird, Avec, Big Star, Publican, Publican Quality Meats)
· June 11 – John Fraser of Dovetail (New York)
· June 25 – Patricio Sandoval of Mercadito (New York, Chicago, Miami)
· July 23 – Merlin Verrier of Graham Elliot
· August 6 – Jason Hammel of Lula Café and Nightwood
· August 20 – Brian Huston of The Publican
· September 10 – Andrew Brochu of Graham Elliot