So if Jason Hammel is going to morph Lula Cafe into the Violent Hour for Halloween, one would assume he'd have some pretty kick ass cocktails, right? Yup. So this year on Oct. 31, instead of doing a sit-down dinner, Hammel teamed with mixologist Paul McGee (Three Dots and a Dash) to turn the space into more of a lounge with numerous cocktail stations. Want to go one better? McGee enlisted some of the city's top bartenders to not only create drinks, but to be on hand to serve them up.
The cash-only, no reservations event will take place in two shifts: 7 to 10 p.m. and then 10 to 1 a.m. Six bartenders will be on hand during each shift—and its quite a group: McGee, Masa Azul's Jenny Kessler, the Boka Group's Benjamin Schiller, Scofflaw's Danny Shapiro, Sable's Mike Ryan, Barrelhouse Flat's Stephen Cole, Daniel de Oliveira of Olmeca Altos Tequila, BellyQ's Peter Vestinos, Bar DeVille's Brad Bolt, Sepia's Josh Pearson and, from the Violet Hour, Robby Haynes and Eden Laurin.
Each cocktail will go for $10 and servers will also offer up a number of $6 bites from Lula Cafe, including a Croaked Madame (country ham, gruyere, pickled apple and quail egg), Blood-red Oyster (with finger lime and a dead rose) and octopus "Diavolo." So get ready to don your favorite costume, get your cash ready and get ready to wait because there will no doubt be a line.
The full list of drinks and bites:
EARLY MENU (7 p.m. to 10 p.m.)
· Jenny Kessler of Masa Azul: "Be One of Us, Michael," Mezcal, Apple Cider, El Corazon Puree, Malbec, Serrano Pepper
· Paul McGee of Three Dots and a Dash: "Zombie Apocolypse," Rum, Rum, Rum, Falernum, Lime, Orange, Angostura
· Ben Schiller of Boka Group: "Undead Unicorn," Rittenhouse Rye, Unicorn Blood Syrup, Pipe Tobacco, Cassia
· Mike Ryan of Sable Bar and Kitchen: "Powerless in the Face of the Relentless Walking Dead," Buffalo Trace Bourbon, Amaro, Lemon, Coconut, Egg White, Angostura Bitters
· Danny Shapiro of Scofflaw: "The Slayer," Leatherbee Gin, Dubonnet Rouge, Cynar, Combier Orange Liqueur
· Stephen Cole of Barrelhouse Flat: "Don Flamenco," Lunazul Blanco Tequila, Oloroso Sherry, Pineapple, Orange Bitters
LATE MENU (10 p.m. to 1 a.m.)
· Dan de Oliveira of Olmeca Altos Tequila: "Merlotte's," Olmeca Altos Plata, Passionfruit, Lime, Absinthe
· Peter Vestinos of Belly Q: "The Die-quiri," Flor de Cana Rum, Cherry Heering, Lime, Creole Bitters
· Brad Bolt of Bar DeVille: "Insert Heavy Metal Band Name," Rittenhouse Rye, Cherry Heering, Lemon, Lambrusco, Angostura Bitters
· Eden Laurin of The Violet Hour: "The Beet Down," Buffalo Trace Bourbon, Cocchi Americano, Beet Syrup, Walnut, Apple Bitters
· Robby Haynes of The Violet Hour: "Kinky Wizard," Dolin Blanc Vermouth, Leatherbee Gin, Lemon, R. Franklin's Malort
· Josh Pearson of Sepia: "You're Dead, Let's Disco," Cynar, Coeur de Leon Calvados, Cardamaro
BITES: (all $6, those with a * is or can be vegetarian)
· Masa GORGE-eres: Winter squash or trotter 'al pastor'*
· None more black: Black pudding, black polenta, black mustard
· Croaked Madame: Country ham, gruyere, pickled apple, quail egg*
· Smoked Eel 'brandade'
· Blood-red oyster with finger lime, a dead rose
· Octopus 'Diavolo'
· "Crossbones" -- salsify, citron yogurt, black truffle*