Celebrating even one year of having an open restaurant is an accomplishment, but 18 years is quite a milestone. Zealous, which originally opened in Elmhurst and moved to Chicago's River North neighborhood in 2000, marks its 18th anniversary this year. To celebrate, chef/owner Michael Taus wants to give back to some lucky and loyal diners and has created two ways for people to win unique dining experiences.
First, people can tweet at Taus or post to the restaurant's Facebook wall their idea of a dream meal. Taus will select the most creative idea at the end of August and reward that person by creating a five-course meal with wine pairings for two based on the suggestion. Want to include illegal or endangered ingredients? Think again. Your suggestion will get disqualified. So no giant panda or meth cakes for you.
If you have some fond memories of dining at Zealous, that could win you prizes as well. People can post their stories, whether touching, funny or whatever, with or without photos, to Zealous' Facebook wall. The entries that get the most "likes" can win a prize, and there are some pretty good ones.
You could win:
· Chef for a Day with Chef Taus, where you'll hit Argyle Street's Vietnamese market then have a cooking class with your purchases followed by a five-course dinner for two.
· Five-course dinner for two with wine pairings.
· “Z” Burgers and beers for six in Zealous’ intimate lounge.
· Appetizers and drinks in the Zealous lounge for six.
· A dessert and wine tasting for six.
· Free corkage for a month (limit one bottle per visit).