There's usually a big empty space on your plate or in your basket when you order just a burger. Even the clamshells at McDonald's open to reveal what you could think of as a second container—a way station for something to go between every other bite of hot, juicy burger. But what to put there to fill the void? Well, fries of course, which you sometimes eat so quickly, you can't help but ask if you needed the burger in the first place. And a few places in town seem to be asking the same thing, with such a pure focus on fries that the real question might be, "Do you want burgers with that?"
With that, here's a list of five fry spots in the city you may want to make another trip for after you've finished your burgers.
· Friday/Saturday-Only Duck Fat Fries at Hot Doug's
· Sweet Potato Fries (and sometimes tots) with spicy lemon aioli at DMK Burger Bar
· Kennebec Potato Fries with garlic aioli at Gilt Bar
· Kimchi Fries (yes, kimchi) with pork belly (yes, pork belly), onions, scallions, cheddar, jack, and sour cream at Del Seoul
· ...and the wildcard: Polenta Fries (crispy sticks of creamy, soft-on-the-inside polenta) with smoked tomato aioli and giardiniera at Revolution Brewing
Kimchi fries at Del Seoul [Photo: Soomeenshee]